Sunday, March 16, 2008

first day jitters?

we opened the new sanctuary today. we had our first worship service there.

but today is palm sunday.

palm sunday was and is a celebration of jesus entering the city. Hosanna in the highest! we are supposed to celebrate jesus.

today did not feel like this to me. i mean, it is a big deal that we opened the new sanctuary, but i felt like a stranger in my own land. so weird.

why am i troubled by this? i can't figure it out. the best way i can describe it is how i just told my mom a few minutes ago.. i didn't feel like i was at my church - being in that sanctuary didn't feel like being at my church. that's probably a first for me. its kind of scary and troubling.

mom said that it will probably take a little while for us to get used to the new sanctuary. but why should it? why can't it feel like home immediately? when a person is in the presence of the Lord, they should feel comfortable, at home, and at the same time, disturbed.

i am conflicted. i hope it settles.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I, too, felt a little odd in the new building. Sure it's nice, but at the same time, I understand what you are talking about in every way. Maybe as they hype dies down and everything settles I'll feel more at ease.