Monday, March 12, 2007

praise god..

It's finally Spring break. Praise God.

I have been waiting on this break since Christmas! No, it hasn't been that bad, really. It just seems like I have been waiting for this break for so long!! And now it is finally here! :o)

The first Spring Break weekend has been nice. Yesterday I slept in; it was so nice. Then I did just about nothing for most of the day. I finally left the casa to go and do a little shopping for my dad's birthday. (happy 60th, dad!)

Today was nice too!! Went to church, had a nice lunch at Rosa's with Cheryl, then came home and did a little laundry, went to dinner with dad and the bros at Johnny C's and rented some movies to last me the week.

And that brings me to my topic du jour.

Tonight I watched a movie called Mozart and the Whale which stars Josh Hartnett and Radha Mitchell as his love interest. I'm not a huge fan of Hartnett, but I was intrigued at hastings when I read the back cover and it told me that this was a story about two people with Asperger's Syndrome. Asperger's is a form of autism, and me being the special ed person I am, I wanted to watch it and see if I could learn more about the mystery that lies behind the autism curtain. (ooo that sounds eerie and mysterious!)

Well, while I enjoyed Hartnett's character (very realistic), as I met Mitchell's character, Isabelle, I saw less autism and more ... psychosis. Is that the right word for what I'm trying to say? I don't know. But her character was very eccentric. And although I don't claim to be an expert on the subject of autism, most of the students I have met who are diagnosed as such, are not as eccentric as Isabelle. Her character made it very hard for me to keep my attention on the story line.

I guess it was just hard to watch and understand because most of the kids I work with.. are kids!! And they have not 1) gained an understanding of their diagnosis, 2) do not have such elaborate personalities, and 3) still live with their parents. :o)

It was a nice story overall, but like I said, hard to understand even for a special ed-er (?)... haha...

As for the rest of my evening, I am one-fourth of the way through picking my NCAA March Madness bracket. As with most people I am in a pool with (I say most, I really have no clue), I don't care who wins, it's just the fun of the game to see if your research and pick makes it!!

Spring Break 2007, whut whut! ;)

2 comments:

Lauren said...

happy spring break ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh brackets... Guess I'll dedicate one day of my spring break to figuring out that!! :o) I've watch Mozart and the Whale too and yes, her character was very eccentric. But I thought Hartnett's role was played very well. Alright, happy spring break! See you tomorrow! And thanks for the tape!! :o)