Tuesday, May 17, 2005

This weekend basically rocked. It was just amazing. There's nothing like graduating from college and having the freedom to just ... well the same whatever I've been doing for five years, but now I'm a college grad. I have a degree, not a major. whoop.

I wrote on Saturday and it was cool or whatever, but as I looked back on it, it seems kind of sad and depressing. So here's a better one :)

Okay so church was cool on Sunday. How often does that happen? Ha. I went to the 9:30 service and I don't remember a whole lot but Jerry's sermon was not too bad. Then I went over to the Journey. Wendy did a great job on the altar. She made it appear like there were flames on there.. so cool.. She has a flare (no pun intended i swear) for altar stuff and she's good at it. The perfectionist in her makes her art awesome and worshipful (if that's a word). Then Michael's sermon was very cool. I always like the spins he takes on an every year occasion. This week was Pentecost and he focused on Matthias. But my favorite part of his sermon was when he was talking about the power God gave the apostles. He said something to the effect of: God didn't give them superhuman powers, He gave them the power to communicate.

I'm reading this book to help prepare for this summer's junior high bible studies about superheros and the connection between their personalities and lives with scripture and christian living. So when Michael mentioned the power that God gave the apostles that day, I thought of the superhuman powers given to those heros. And I thought God could have given them the power to fly or the power to shower down his wrath on those who persecute or even the power to perform miracles of the old testament, but He gave them the power to share His word. Whoa. Yeah.. take that in for a second... I'll give you a few...






God is so loving, so compassionate, so awesome that he gave all of us the power of words. He gave us the words and the passion to share his love with others. We don't even have to know that we're speaking a different language as long as we know we're speaking God's love.

When we were in Mexico, and I said this in an earlier post, we went to this church service the last night we were in Reynosa. It was at the church we had been 'stationed' at and where we did a lot of our work. At the end of the service, the pastor asked the family we built for to stand and pray for us. They hadn't said much all week either because they were uncertain of the language barrier or whatever, but that night was amazing. I felt God in that small church. I felt his awesome burning presence in that room. When that family opened their mouths and raised their hands towards us and just started praying for us, it was amazing. Most of us didn't know what they were saying, but we knew they were blessing us, we knew, through God's awesome power, exactly what they meant. I felt his love coming from them and just permeating that room into our hearts.

Yeah. God's love is awesome. That's all I have to say about that.

No comments: